Daniel E. Kattman developed a unique legal practice that reflects the convergence of ideas, media and technology in the digital age.
Dan's practice focuses on the following areas of law:
- Trademark Prosecution and Enforcement/Brand Management
- Advertising Law
- Entertainment/Media Law - motion picture financing, production and distribution; music licensing and the music industry in general; book publishing law; independent media production and distribution
- Software and Technology Development and Licensing
- Internet and E-commerce, Domain Name Disputes, Online Privacy and Social Media
- Copyright Law
As recognition for Dan's achievements in these areas of law, Dan recently received a "Forty under 40" award from Milwaukee's The Business Journal, recognizing forty Milwaukee-area individuals under the age of 40 who are making a difference within their professions and communities.
Trademark Prosecution and Enforcement/Brand Management
Dan manages a docket of approximately 1500 US trademark applications and over 2000 foreign trademark applications and registrations throughout the world. Dan's role as a trademark attorney is to assist clients with selecting and clearing trademarks, obtaining trademark protection through federal and foreign trademark registration, and enforcing or defending trademark rights, including litigation before the United States Trademark Trial & Appeal Board. Dan routinely negotiates trademark dispute settlements and focuses on obtaining practical business-oriented results.
Dan represents both corporate marketing departments and advertising agencies on a wide range of advertising and marketing-related matters. Dan adds special value to his clients as a result of unique experience and background relevant to his legal expertise. Before attending law school, he worked in the marketing department at the world headquarters of a Fortune 500 company where he worked directly with the company's advertising agency and international sales force to develop sales and marketing materials.
Dan often operates as "general counsel" for advertising agencies and in-house marketing departments and has represented major consumer products/brands and food manufacturers and distributors. As part of this work, Dan works with clients to substantiate claims contained in print, television and internet advertising materials; comply with federal and state product labeling regulations, including FTC, FDA, USDA and EPA regulations. As part of this practice, Dan works with clients to develop and administer sweepstakes, contests and related promotions, negotiate celebrity product endorsements and sponsorships; and Dan frequently handles false advertising claims brought against or on behalf of his clients.
Dan is a seasoned entertainment attorney with expertise in the motion picture, television, music and book publishing industries. Dan works with filmmakers to secure financing for independent films and documentaries, secure name talent and domestic and foreign distribution. Dan has represented New York Times best-selling authors and internationally recognized celebrity chefs and actors. Dan also represents world class art museums, independent film distributors, international sales agents, video game developers, record labels, music publishers and artists.
For over fifteen years, Dan has been actively involved as a producer on numerous feature films, television programs and documentaries. Dan co-founded Lightning Rod Studios, a successful feature film production and digital visual effects production company based in the Midwest. This unique experience enables Dan to understand the goals and challenges of his entertainment clients and gives him a thorough understanding of both the legal and business aspects of this complex industry.
Software and Technology Development and Licensing
Dan has a strong background in the software development and licensing industry and represents both software developers, software distributors and companies seeking to purchase or license software.
Internet and E-commerce, Online Privacy and Online Marketing
In many respects, the Internet is still a wild and unruly place. Dan works with clients to ensure that their presence on the Internet supports their business without interruption or liability. This work often involves negotiating agreements with website developers, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) companies, resolving domain name disputes through the WIPO (the World Intellectual Property Organization), assisting clients with website terms and conditions, website privacy policies and implementing social media practices and policies.
Copyright law is often intertwined in the above areas of law and Dan has substantial experience with US copyright law. Dan works with clients to clear copyright chain of title for motion pictures, music publishers and book publishers; and assess fair use defenses for documentary filmmakers.
Dan primarily serves the following industries:
- Patent, Trademark and Copyright Licensing
- Trade Secret and Nondisclosure Counseling
- Trademark Portfolio Management and Prosecution
- Software, Technology and Licensing
- Food and Beverage Law
- Product Distribution and Franchise
J.D., Marquette University Law School
B.A., Marquette University
- Working with a client's in-house marketing executives and advertising agencies to develop aggressive and competitive marketing and advertising programs; work included review of advertising materials and substantiation of claims made in comparative advertising
- Working with directors and producers to obtain financing, talent commitments and distribution of feature length films
- Working with producers and casting directors to negotiate talent agreements with talent agencies for feature films and television programs
- Working with independent record labels to secure rights to musical compositions and to obtain favorable marketing and distribution of musical compositions
- Working with various concert promoters for U.S. concert tours
- Assisting a New York Times best-selling author and agent to secure a multi-book publishing agreement involving a seven-figure advance
- Who's Who Legal: Trademarks 2015
- "Forty under 40" award from Milwaukee's The Business Journal, recognizing 40 Milwaukee-area individuals under the age of 40 who are making a difference within their professions and communities
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers - Rising Star Edition
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Milwaukee Film Festival (involved since its inception and serves as an advisor to the annual event)