Jessica Hutson Polakowski is a shareholder in Reinhart’s Intellectual Property Litigation and Litigation practice groups. Jess serves a wide range of business clients such electrical and mechanical designers and manufacturers, biotech companies, health care technology companies, software developers, service firms and product distributors.
Based out of Reinhart’s Madison office, Jess regularly appears in the Western District of Wisconsin and works to both advise and assist clients in the defense and protection of their intellectual property rights. She also works with clients to pursue issues related to unfair competition.
Jess is also an experienced litigator on false advertising claims under the Lanham Act. Over the course of her career, she has litigated patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret cases across the country in states such as: California, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Georgia and Delaware.
Jess practices goal-oriented litigation, believing that it is critical to understand a client’s goals, long and short-term, in order to litigate effectively.
Jess primarily serves the following industries:
- Patents and Intellectual Property Litigation
- State and Local Tax
- Food and Beverage Law
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School
B.A., with honors, University of Wisconsin-Madison (History and Political Science)
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals, the 7th Circuit
- Lead courtroom attorney representing biotech company in successfully defeating motion for preliminary injunction in the Western District
- Represents client in enforcing a patent portfolio related to electronic technology against multiple industry infringers
- Represents clients in enforcing licensing agreements
- Advises on trade secrets, nondisclosure and false advertising
- Successfully represented a client in a major property tax case decided by the Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers – Rising Star Edition 2010 to present
- Madison Women in IP (MadWIP) (Member of Steering Committee)
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Lawyers Association (WIPLA)
- Legal Association for Women (LAW)
- Dane County Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association
- James E. Doyle Inns of Court
- Institute of Professionals in Taxation
- Involved in community and pro bono work, notably with children
City of Milwaukee Agrees to Refund Reinhart Client Walgreen Co. $3,737,541 in Property Taxes for 2010 Through 2013. City Also Agrees to Reduce Tax Assessments of 18 Walgreen Stores by a Cumulative Total of $34,000,000 for 2014.