Jessica Hutson Polakowski is a shareholder in Reinhart’s Intellectual Property Litigation and Tax Litigation practices serving a wide range of business clients such as developers, electrical and mechanical designers and manufacturers, biotech companies, health care technology companies, software developers, service firms and product distributors. Based in Reinhart’s Madison office, Jess regularly appears in the “Rocket Docket” of the Western District of Wisconsin.
In her IP practice, Jess works with a team of experienced IP litigators to advise and assist clients in defending and protecting their intellectual property rights as well as pursuing issues regarding unfair competition. Jess is also an experienced litigator on false advertising claims under the Lanham Act. Over the course of her career she litigated patent and trade secret cases throughout the country including cases in California, Florida, Ohio, Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Georgia and Delaware.
In her tax practice, Jess provides counsel and conducts litigation proceedings on a range of matters for Fortune 500 companies. With a decade of experience, Jessica draws upon her in-depth knowledge to offer clients cost-effective advice regarding their legal needs, and her clients appreciate her personable disposition and dedication.
Jessica primarily serves the following industries:
- Patents and Intellectual Property Litigation
- State and Local Tax
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School
B.A., with honors, University of Wisconsin-Madison (History and Political Science)
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals, the 7th Circuit
- Lead courtroom attorney representing biotech company in successfully defeating motion for preliminary injunction in the Western District
- Represents client in enforcing a patent portfolio related to electronic technology against multiple industry infringers
- Represents clients in enforcing licensing agreements
- Advises on trade secrets, nondisclosure and false advertising
- Successfully represented a client in a major property tax case decided by the Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers – Rising Star Edition 2010 to present
- Madison Women in IP (MadWIP) (Member of Steering Committee)
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Lawyers Association (WIPLA)
- Legal Association for Women (LAW)
- Dane County Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association
- James E. Doyle Inns of Court
- Institute of Professionals in Taxation
- Involved in community and pro bono work, notably with children
City of Milwaukee Agrees to Refund Reinhart Client Walgreen Co. $3,737,541 in Property Taxes for 2010 Through 2013. City Also Agrees to Reduce Tax Assessments of 18 Walgreen Stores by a Cumulative Total of $34,000,000 for 2014.