Mary H. Michal is of counsel in Reinhart’s Health Care Practice as well as the former co-chair of the Hospice and Palliative Care group. Mary has practiced law since 1977 and advises hospice clients throughout the country. She provides clients access to her extensive experience and knowledge regarding health care regulatory and reimbursement issues including fraud and abuse investigations, compliance planning, anti-kickback analysis, licensure, administrative law and disciplinary proceedings, as well as survey and certification issues.
Mary has published and lectured extensively on issues such as the conditions of participation, anti-kickback considerations, physician contracting and Medicare appeals. She is a national presenter on end of life issues and regularly presents for the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization and numerous hospice and palliative care associations.
Prior to joining the firm, Mary directed the Bureau of Market Regulation within the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance, Hospice Care, Inc. and the Elderly and Handicap Project of the Center for Public Representation. Through her leadership in these organizations, Mary gained an understanding of regulators, health care providers, health care payers and the public interest.
Mary primarily serves the following industries:
- Hospice and Palliative Care
- Government Relations
J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School
B.A., cum laude, St. Norbert College (Sociology)
- Structuring innovative palliative care programs for hospices throughout the country
- Winning appeals of significant claim denials and Medicare recoupments
- Obtaining dismissals of fraud investigations
- Best Lawyers’ 2015 Madison Health Care Law “Lawyer of the Year”
- Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law)
- Wisconsin Top Rated Lawyer Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Recipient of the Center for Public Representation’s award for “Outstanding Health Care Advocate”
- Featured in the Wisconsin State Journal article “Know Your Madisonian”
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (Regulatory Committee)
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (Managed Care Committee)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Health Law and Elder Law Committees)
- Hospice Organization of Wisconsin (past president)
- National Continuing Care Accreditation Commission (Washington, D.C.) (past commissioner)
- Hospice Manager’s Monograph (past president)
- Peace Corps volunteer
- United Way (campaign cabinet)
- Hospice and Nursing Home/Assisted Living Contracting Toolkit
- Medical Director and Physician Contracting Toolkit for Hospice and Palliative Care
- One Patient, One Day: Making Your Hospice a Leader in End of Life Care
- A manual entitled Growing Hospice the Right Way
- A series of manuals on HIPAA privacy compliance for health care providers and health plans
Mary Michal Warns Readers of HC Compliance News About Nursing Homes’ Frequent Failures to Meet Medicare Requirements in Submissions of Hospice Claims for Their Residents. Meg Pekarske Stresses, in the Same Dec. 7 Article, the Importance of Coordination.