Daniel P. Cooper is a shareholder in Reinhart’s Corporate Law Practice where he acts as general company counsel in addition to serving as a trusted business advisor to a wide variety of clients including technology, manufacturing and service companies. Over the course of his career, Dan has gained considerable experience representing innovative companies during their startup and growth phase.
Representing a wide variety of clients, Dan invests his time and energy into gaining a deep, foundational understanding of his clients’ business, personal values, and goals, and he views each case and client experience as a valued encounter. Each experience contributes to his skill-set and ultimately prepares him to provide effective and efficient legal counsel to his clients.
With over 15 years of legal experience, he recognizes the importance of building relationships with clients in order to provide optimum legal counsel. While he finds personal fulfillment working with businesses clients as they grow, his clients appreciate his personable yet professional disposition as well as his passion and commitment to tailoring legal solutions at the intersection of business and law.
In addition to his legal practice, Dan is the author of a Business Law blog where he publishes articles on a wide array of relevant legal topics. Dan is a member of the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG), has been recognized in the publication Best Lawyers in America, and currently serves as the president of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the Milwaukee Athletic Club (MAC). Dan is active in supporting many charitable and civic organizations including the United Performing Arts Fund (UPAF), the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee and Historic Milwaukee, Inc. (HMI).
Dan is the founder of Reinhart Genesis, an initiative that provides legal support to innovators in tech hubs throughout the country.
J.D., University of Michigan Law School
LL.M. in Taxation, New York University School of Law
B.A., with honors, Michigan State University
- Assisting a high-potential technology company evaluate, negotiate and close venture capital funding
- Helping a technology company evaluate alternative options for employee incentive programs, develop an intellectual property protection strategy, and negotiate and implement key supply contracts and consulting agreements
- Assisting a client in evaluating a business acquisition and helping the client maximize the value of the acquisition by providing legal advice with a focus on advancing the client’s general business goals
- Planning and drafting the contracts for a privately held corporate management buyout
- Evaluating the optimal entity type for a high-tech, startup company structuring founder equity and employment contracts
- Best Lawyers in America
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers – Rising Stars Edition
- Adjunct Professor Graduate School of Business, teaching Business Strategy to established and business professionals. The program topics include:
- Choice of Entity
- Issues on New Company Formation
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Creative Structuring Techniques
- Corporate Spin-Offs and Split-Offs
- Transactions Involving LLCs and S corporations
- Executive Compensation Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions
- Presented to multiple University Law and Entrepreneurship Clinics
- Boys & Girls Clubs (fund raiser)
- Milwaukee Athletic Club (president and Board of Directors; former vice president and treasurer)
- United Performing Arts Club Next Generation Council