Carol A. Bannen is Reinhart’s Director of Information Resources that includes the firm’s fully automated and professionally staffed Information Resource Center and the Records Department. A dedicated employee for more than 40 years, Carol has been an important member of both departments. Today she is responsible for Reinhart’s research, records, and knowledge management operations and has been instrumental in creating and maintaining the firm’s knowledge management applications and best practices toolboxes – all intended to maximize research efficiency and effectiveness.
In addition, she has implemented an extensive in-house training program that provides advanced research instruction to staff and attorneys on a range of subjects such as legal issues, business resources, and Internet searching techniques. As Reinhart transitions to a paperless office, Carol has been invaluable in implementing a firm-wide records retention program that ensures the preservation and organization of client and firm information.
In addition to her responsibilities as the Director of Information Resources, Carol continues to provide legal and business research to Reinhart attorneys and clients alongside her staff of experienced information specialists. Carol provides research assistance to attorneys in the firm in order to bolster their arguments, increase proficiency, and provides cost-effective and proficient research. As a trained and experienced research specialist, she provides a full spectrum of research and investigative services ranging from answering general reference questions, conducting detailed research projects, and locating difficult to find or obscure information. Her in-depth knowledge of print and electronic resources allows Carol to provide Reinhart attorneys with comprehensive information relating to the subject matter.
Carol recognizes the value of providing specialized research; therefore, she created the IRC Liaison program, which enables her team of researchers to immerse themselves in particular practice groups. The liaison program allows the IRC staff to provide proactive and focused research as each member gains expertise in designated areas of law.
With years of experience, Carol frequently shares her knowledge through presentations to both local and national organizations. Most recently she spoke to the National Business Institute on “Find it Fast and Free on the Net,” but she has spoken to the ABA, Marquette Law School, Paralegal Association of Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin, Wisconsin State Law Library, American Association of Law Libraries, Special Libraries Association, and many other audiences over the course of her career.
B.A., St. Catherine University
- Recipient of the Distinguished Service Award from the Law Librarian Association of Wisconsin – May, 2017
- Won a Presidential Certificate of Merit from the American Association of Law Libraries for efforts on the Publishing Initiatives Caucus
- Co-chaired the LLAW Publication Project that won the American Association of Law Libraries Excellence in Marketing Award
- Nominated as an “Unsung Hero” by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- Chosen to attend Advanced Management for Private Law Librarians and TRIPLL Teaching Research in Private Law Libraries
- American Association of Law Libraries, (former co-chair of the AALL Publishing Initiative Caucus)
- Association of Records Managers and Administrators (ARMA)
- Law Librarians Association of Wisconsin (founding member and former President)
- Special Libraries Association (former division Chair)
- Wisconsin Chapter of the Special Libraries Association (former President)
- Library Council of Southeastern Wisconsin (former Vice President and board member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Client Education Committee)
- The Opportunity for Firms, Librarians and Knowledge Management White Paper
- Write and Reach Out
- Tips for Monitoring Cases
- Researching Individuals on the Internet
- Mining for Company Nuggets
- Use Elists to Expand Your Network and Meet Subject-Matter Experts, Join One Today
- Stay ahead of your clients’ business needs with free email alerts
- The World of Google: Bing Chases and Google Grows
- Search Public Records With TLO, the New Kid on the Block, Only Costs $1
Carol has been a frequent speaker to both local and national organizations. Most recently she spoke to the National Business Institute on “Find it Fast and Free on the Net.” She also has spoken to the ABA, Marquette Law School, Paralegal Association of Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin, Wisconsin State Law Library, American Association of Law Libraries, Special Libraries Association and many more.
- Church Librarian